1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Crumble bread slices/paavs with hands or mixer.
2. Bring milk to boil. Add sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Mix well. Switch off the gas. Add bread pieces/crumbs to the milk.
3. Add butter/ghee. Let is stand for 15 minutes.
4. Add vanilla essence. Keep aside for another 5 minutes.
5. Brush pudding pot with some ghee. Add 1 tbsp sugar. Switch on the gas. Cook for about 1 minute or so, till the sugar caramelaizes.
6. Pour bread + milk mixture carefully - without disturbing the brown caramelized sugar coating.
7. Steam in a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes. When steam starts coming, switch the gas to low.
1. My aaji used home-made white butter.
2. I have used a vanilla bean instead of vanilla essence in the above recipe.
3. The whole point of using the dome-shaped pudding container is that when the pudding is ready, you can invert the container and get a beautiful dome-shaped pudding with a beautiful caramel on top. But everyone was so eager to eat the pudding that I had to skip that part. We just spooned the pudding right from the container!!:-)